SFB-787 B4: VCSEL
Multi-dimensional modeling and simulation of VCSELs
In this cooperative project between WIAS and ZIB within the SFB 787 semiclassical models of 3D-structured VCSELs (Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser) are developed and analysed, converted into numerical algorithms, and basing on this simulations are made. Our aim is the efficient simulation of VCSELs with a complex 3D-Structure in order to obtain a deep understanding of the several physical effects.
VCSELs are semiconductor laser diodes which emit the light perpendicular to the chip surface. They have several advantages over the conventional edge-emitting lasers which makes them highly attractive for applications in optoelectronics. While edge-emitters cannot be tested until the end of the production process, VCSELs can be testet on the wafer. Further large two-dimensional arrays of devices can be built on a single wafer. This reduces the cost of the fabrication. The lower divergence angle of the output beam allows high coupling efficiency with optical fibers. Additionally they have lower power consumption then edge-emitting lasers.
A fundamental aim of this project is the extension and coupling of the simulation tools WIAS-TeSCA (WIAS) and JCMSuite (ZIB) in order to support the design of semiconductor devices.
- Accurate simulation of light transmission through subwavelength apertures in metal filmsJ. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 11, 114013 (2009)
- Dependencies of micro-pillar cavity quality factors calculated with finite element methodsOptics Express, Vol. 17, 1144 (2009)
- Goal oriented adaptive finite element method for precise simulation of optical componentsIn: Proc. SPIE, Integrated Optics: Devices, Materials, and Technologies XI, Y. Sidorin and Ch. A. Waechter (ed) , Vol. 6475, 64750H (2007)
- Advanced Finite Element Method for Nano-ResonatorsIn: Physics and Simulation of Optoelectronic Devices XIV, M. Osinski and F. Henneberger and Y. Arakawa (ed) Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6115, 164-174 (2006)
- Micro-optically assisted high index waveguide couplingAppl. Opt., Vol. 45, 1831-1838 (2006)
- Observation of magnetization waves in negative-index photonic metamaterialsAppl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 89, 231118 (2006)
- Rigorous Simulation of 3D MasksIn: Photomask Technology, P. M. Martin and R. J. Naber (ed) Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6349, 63494Z (2006)
- A new finite element realization of the Perfectly Matched Layer Method for Helmholtz scattering problems on polygonal domains in 2DJ. Comput. Appl. Math., Vol. 188, 12-32 (2006)
- Photonic metamaterials: Magnetism at optical frequenciesIEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 12, 1097-1105 (2006)
- Efficient optimization of hollow-core photonic crystal fiber design using the finite-element methodJ. Europ. Opt. Soc: Rap. Comm., Vol. 1, 06011 (2006)
- Adaptive FEM solver for the computation of electromagnetic eigenmodes in 3D photonic crystal structuresIn: Scientific Computing in Electrical Engineering, A. M. Anile and G. Ali and G. Mascali (ed) Springer Verlag, 169-175 (2006)
- Magnetic metamaterials at telecommunication and visible frequenciesPhys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 95, 203901 (2005)
- Optical microscopy using the spectral modifications of a nano-antennaPhys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 95, 200801 (2005)