Adaptive simulation of photonic crystals structures - Computation of electromagnetic scattered fields in 3D
Algorithms for the adaptive simualtion of finite photonic crystals structures are developed.
Photonic bandgap material (photonic crystals, PhC's) offers the possibility to manipulate light on lengthscales of the order of its wavelength. This opens immense prospects for the miniaturization of optical components and other technological applications. The properties of PhC's are generally critically dependent on the wavelength of the propagating light. Thus, for the design of many of their applications it is crucial to use simulation tools with high accuracy, speed, and reliability. The focus of the project is the simulation of the propagation of the electromagnetic field in a real life photonic crystal embedded into an unbounded environment. A typical example is the coupling between a PhC-waveguide and a classical waveguide such as a glass fibre.
For more information see the HiPhoCs site.
- A new finite element realization of the Perfectly Matched Layer Method for Helmholtz scattering problems on polygonal domains in 2DJ. Comput. Appl. Math., Vol. 188, 12-32 (2006)
- Adaptive FEM solver for the computation of electromagnetic eigenmodes in 3D photonic crystal structuresIn: Scientific Computing in Electrical Engineering, A. M. Anile and G. Ali and G. Mascali (ed) Springer Verlag, 169-175 (2006)
- Finite element methods for optical device designIn: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Numerical Simulation of Optoelectronic devices, 57-58 (2005)
- Optical microscopy using the spectral modifications of a nano-antennaPhys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 95, 200801 (2005)
- FEM modelling of 3D photonic crystals and photonic crystal waveguidesIn: Integrated Optics: Devices, Materials, and Technologies IX, Y. Sidorin and C. A. Wächter (ed) Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5728, 164-173 (2005)
- Pole Condition: A new Approach to Solve Scattering ProblemsIn: Oberwolfach Report, Vol. 1 (1) , 615-617Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach (2004)
- Efficient Finite Element Methods for the Design of Microoptical ComponentsIn: Proc. Microoptics Conf. 2004, J8 (2004)
- High-contrast planar photonic crystalsIn: Nanophotonics for Communication, M. Lipson et al. (ed) Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5597, 68-81 (2004)
- Planar High Index-Contrast Photonic Crystals for Telecom ApplicationsIn: Photonic Crystals - Advances in Design, Fabrication and Characterization, K. Busch et al. (ed) Wiley-VCH, 308-329 (2004)
- HelmPole - A finite element solver for scattering problems on unbounded domains: Implementation based on PML(03-38) Zuse Institute Berlin ZIB Report (2003)
- A fast and efficient Finite-Element Solver for 2D and 3D Photonic Band-Gap ProblemsIn: Dig. LEOS/IEEE 2003 Summer Topicals, 75 (2003)
- Solution of Interior-Exterior Helmholtz-Type Problems Based on the Pole Condition Concept: Theory and AlgorithmsFree University Berlin, Fachbereich Mathematik und Informatik Habilitation thesis (2002)