ENT-Surgery under consideration of optimal nasal air flow
Our objective is to analyze and understand the physiology and patho-physiology of normal nasal breathing. To this end, airflow simulations based on computational fluid dynamics (CFD) are conducted for a highly detailed anatomy of the upper respiratory tract from the external nose deep into the trachea, including frontal and maxillary sinuses, as well as the ethmoid. Complex flow phenomena are investigated with regard to individual anatomy and its variations. We are aiming to gain insight into the relationship between morphology and flow behaviour in order to provide general treatment proposals and to develop computer assisted planning tools for decision support in functional rhinosurgery. Further information is available in the detailed project description.
Limmatklinik, Zürich (Dr. Thomas Hildebrandt)
CFX Berlin Software GmbH (Dr. Peter Bartsch)
Klinikum Karlsruhe, HNO-Klinik (Prof. Dr. Werner Heppt)
Charité Berlin, Biofluid Mechanics Lab (Leonid Goubergrits)
- Thomas Hildebrandt, Leonid Goubergrits, Werner Heppt, Stefan Bessler, Stefan Zachow. Evaluation of the Intranasal Flow Field through Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). Journal of Facial and Plastic Surgery, 2013.
- Stefan Zachow, Philipp Muigg, Thomas Hildebrandt, Helmut Doleisch, Hans-Christian Hege. Visual Analysis of Nasal Airflow. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 15(8):1407–1414, 2009.
- Alexander Steinmann, Peter Bartsch, Stefan Zachow, Thomas Hildebrandt. Breathing Easily: Simulation of airflow in human noses can become a useful rhinosurgery planning tool. ANSYS Advantage, 2(1):30–31, 2008.
- Werner Heppt, Thomas Hildebrandt, Alexander Steinmann, Stefan Zachow. Aesthetic and Function in Rhinoplasty. Springer Journal: Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 264 (Suppl 1), RL 126:307, 2007.
- Thomas Hildebrandt, Stefan Zachow, Alexander Steinmann, Werner Heppt. Innovation in der Funktionell-ästhetischen Nasenchirurgie: Rhino-CFD. Face: Int. Mag. of Orofacial Esthetics, 1(2):20–23, 2007.
- Stefan Zachow, Alexander Steinmann, Thomas Hildebrandt, Werner Heppt. Understanding nasal airflow via CFD simulation and visualization. Proc. Computer Aided Surgery Around the Head, p. 173–176, 2007.
- Peter Bartsch, Alexander Steinmann, Stefan Zachow, Thomas Hildebrandt. ANSYS CFX Simulation of Nasal Airflow - Flow Investigation and Evaluation of Nasal Anatomy to Support Treatment Planning for Functional Rhinosurgery. 2006.
- S. Zachow, A. Steinmann, Th. Hildebrandt, R. Weber, W. Heppt. CFD simulation of nasal airflow: treatment planning for functional rhinosurgery. Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, p. 165-167, Osaka, Japan, 2006.