BRAIN is the high speed data net of Berlin’s public institutions for science, education and culture. It came into being on the basis of a decision of Berlin’s Federal State Government of 1994 on the construction and operation of a state-owned glass fiber Metropolitan Area Network.
BRAIN connects more than 150 locations of more than 45 scientific and cultural institutions in Berlin.
BRAIN operates 2000 km of the state-owned glass fiber net and offers
- the BRAIN network with individual lines with up to 10,000 Mbit/s
- for high-performance cross-linkage of scientific and cultural institutions of the city for direct IP-data exchange
- for high-performance networking of different locations of one institution
- as access point to the intranet of the federal state of Berlin (Berlin’s state net BeLa)
- glass fibers and band widths for the use of one single institution for direct linkage of its two locations
- glass fibers for the link with the national network infrastructure of the DFN-Verein (German National Research and Education Network) for the DFN internet service X-WiN
For more information click http://www.brain.de